Sunday, November 22, 2009

ECard Birthday Tragedy!!! DON'T MIX IT UP!

Alright... I'm going to admit to you that TODAY November 22nd 1959... Rod and Bunnie Riding had a little boy named John.

Yep Today is my BIG FIVE OH... (the OH is intentional here as in OH MY, How'd I get to be that old)

Along with all the well wishing cards and the FB birthday wishes ... Thank you all so much... I received a couple of emails from some friends on Plaxo.

I'm always amazed at how many people take the time to send a birthday wish, even if it only takes a few second to put together an Ecard... it is still very much appreciated.

Now here is the big tragedy... THE MIXED MESSAGE!

If I had a list of forbidden things to do when you are marketing....
THE NUMBER ONE would be ... Don't mix your messages.

You know I am all about establishing and building relationships with people that you do business with. I always stress for my clients to go far beyond the transactional nature of business. Reach out to your clients and become FRIENDS.

Here is a Card (I've altered the name for obvious reasons) I received today



Here is the close up of the message:



See the problem here isn't that Jack didn't think of me... the problem is that while thinking of me Jack also thought of himself. He decided to kill two old farts with one stone and remind me that I might need his life or disability insurance. (because I'm officially old now I guess)

Don't get me wrong... I appreciate Jack sending the Ecard... but his not so subtle advertisement kind of killed the whole sentiment of the card.

If I was a close friend of Jack, do you think he would send this same card? I say no way! He would have sent a card that had nothing to do with his business. He would have just sent the card that would show appreciation or congratulations, not "Hey by the way... I don't want to waste another email on you... so here is my birthday wish and sales pitch all in one... wooohooo!

People do business with people they trust and care about. It's time for us as business professionals to stop pitching our friends and just start building relationships. I don't mean to say that you don't ever talk to your friends about business... what I do mean is that you should be friends first and sales people second.

My friends appreciate that when I talk to them about my products or service... I am straight forward and honest about my intention. I want to show them what I do to see if it is something that they need, want or like. That's ok. They appreciate my honesty. I also give them a solid way out. I keep the relationship key and the sales secondary. Someday if they need what I have... they will look me up.

Here is an Ecard from Plaxo from a guy I only know a little bit, in fact I think I may have met him one time at a convention. But here is a guy who knows how to build relationships and cares for people first.



WOW... I was blown away by this card because it was sincere, from the heart and had his picture on it. That just strengthens my bond with Dick.

Who do you think I am more likely to do business with in the future?

.... I'm just sayin'...

Grace and Peace to you in this Season!
JR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That just strengthens my bond with Dick.Ha